Thursday 23 August 2018

Tom says: "No thanks"

Some milongas, many milongas are not short on ego swirling around. It's a reflection, as ever, of society. Much of our western society values money and status over people and their better, more altruistic instincts. Much of contemporary society is based on quantifying, analyzing and thinking the life out of things.  (That includes tango dance class lessons.)

Those common western values are not the ones you hear the twelve-year-old in this clip speaking about when he said "no thanks" to an invitation to appear on the TV show Britain's Got Talent:

"I sing songs and write songs for other reasons I can't even put into words."

"I listen to quite a lot of James Bay. He's just a really nice person. It's nice to see that people in the music industry are nice people."

[What do you like best about performing?]
"The reaction from the crowd. When you get a good reaction from the crowd it makes you feel you can be yourself."

"I just feel like it wasn't the show that I wanted to do. I didn't really want to take part in a music talent show and I like what I'm doing at the moment. I'm enjoying myself. I think it's important for me to do things my own way so I can...well, I can feel like myself"

[What are your hopes for the future]
"Well, I'm just going to take it as it comes to be honest, play the gigs that come and see how it goes."

No comments:

Post a Comment