Monday 12 April 2021

How I learnt to dance both roles V: milongas and practicas

Now I felt relieved in all senses.  I was on my own but I had some experience of dancing tango.  I was following my instincts about how to learn though at the time I had no idea how much that was a good thing.  Things were starting to make sense - not the dance moves specifically but about what did and didn't work as a learning process.  Learning as the woman was largely about trust, being able to trust guys, to let go, to know which guys to trust.  The classes and the twice or three times a week two hour round trip to get to the classes, the practica and the milonga had been expensive too. I am glad I don’t have that energy or motivation any more.  This was also the year I met someone who told me there was an easier, more natural and more enjoyable way to learn to dance than in class.  The basic idea:  that class is hard but dance is easy and the two are not compatible, already made sense.  But I didn't realise at first how pernicious class is.  From there, and from a natural inclination, a lot of my thoughts around freedom and control more generally developed.


So now there was 'just' the milonga and practicas.  From there I learned by walking in the milonga with kind and generous women. Because I had already danced as the women for about two years I knew what felt nice and what didn't and I already knew the music.  Knowing the music is essential for dancing as the guy. It's that simple - if you don't know the music you can't dance it, at least not well, not well enough. 

 Gradually, much more slowly than the overwhelming 'one new move a week' that guys pay for in class, things started to happen.  I could manage corners of the room in the ronda.  I could manage when a guy in front of me didn't move.  I was getting better at keeping my partner safe.  It could never be said that I have a wide 'repertoire', but the partners I dance with don't look for that.  I was advantaged in that I already knew from dancing as the woman that it wasn't necessarily moves that made a guy feel nice, or at least it wasn't extravagance.  Often it was the quiet guys or the guys who didn't look as if they were doing much  who felt best.

Giros came by themselves, a guy taught me the cross in a practica before a milonga. I didn't get it at the time and then weeks or maybe months later it just sort of arrived by itself.  In a practica I asked a guy I used to dance with a lot in both roles to show me how to do ochos.  But I had to keep interrupting the flow of dance to think about them and he didn't seem to care that I didn't have them so I just left them out and never really felt the lack. Of the hundreds of people I've danced with, only one woman, a young flashy type from BsAs who liked dancing in the Sunderland club, ever complained I didn't lead ochos and that was in my first couple of years in the guiding role. Most people I dance with don't seem to notice or if they do, don't seem to care.  My favourite UK dancer, a superb dancer, said the same thing only a few weeks ago.  And with all that comes confidence which is half of it really. 

As I gained experience and confidence I started to dance more in swapped roles in the milonga for those reasons and because the guys I wanted to dance with (who also want to dance with me) were dwindling in number. Eventually, I (generally) stuck with that role because I realised women were, in general, better dancers than men. A notable exception to this are the queer tango dancers I met from Paris. It’s a growing thing, with women in Europe. The people who most attract me for dance now are those who dance both roles, a few guys, with - usually - many years experience and one or two younger guys with a bit less experience. And new people. I especially like dancing with new guys, particularly young guys, who are happy to dance in the woman’s role. They tend to be more open-minded, slighter and easier to move. 

Recently, I just really wanted to know how to do ochos. I went to a practica and saw a guy I know slightly. He could dance both roles and asked him to show me. He said sure. I asked him to show me another move I wanted to learn. I call it the space invader move where a guy steps into the woman's space and either her foot or her leg gets moved away. Someone told me afterwards they are sacadas but they sure aren't like sacadas the way I saw them taught in class. Maybe they're social sacadas. I liked that when guys did them with me. That’s why I wanted to learn them.

He showed me that too, gave me some time to practice with him. While it was tricky for the first ten minutes, I felt I got them. Later in the evening he very kindly invited me to practice them again in the milonga. I was very grateful.   That same night I danced with an experienced guy with him in the woman's role. He couldn't believe I'd learnt those moves that night. But there's nothing special about me. Colin was the same, he danced amazingly after a few hours. It's simply the effect of learning in a very different way. 

I practised them again with another experienced guy I knew in a practica. The following week in the same pre-milonga practica, when I needed a reminder of the feeling I asked another guy. I hadn’t seen him before nor seen him dance but figured I would also find out how he danced from the experience. He too, kindly agreed.  I said before there is a lot of goodwill in the milongas if we look for it and are open to it.

3 comments:

  1. Do you still agree that learning to follow is about trusting leaders and letting go?

    This idea only makes sense for the first time someone is dancing because they don't know what to expect. However, it's crucial to inform beginner followers that they also have a say and encourage them to listen to themselves about what feels right or wrong from the beginning (not just submit and blindly follow).

    Dancing with a partner is equivalent to having a conversation, and it should not be a "one-way information transfer". Followers should be able to "say no" if something doesn't feel right, and leaders should respect that. If a follower is aware that they are not only allowed but also encouraged to "speak for themselves", trust would not be so big of an issue.

    A potential problem, however, is that most leaders put way too much (physical) pressure, attempting to offer a "clear, strong lead", so they completely silence the other dancer and take away their ability to communicate and express themselves. This always results in the follower doubting themselves, whether it's their 'ability to dance' or how good they are at choosing partners. Furthermore, it plants the seed for insecurity and self-doubt, which could be harmful, especially for people who struggle with this already.

    We need more conversation about this off the dance floor, so both parties understand that it's about "the navigator and the interpreter", not so much about "the leader and the follower".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous said "Do you still agree that learning to follow is about trusting leaders and letting go?"
    The piece mentions three things not two and that other thing is key. Actually, that 3rd thing is first. Without choosing well, the other two things can't happen.

    >>"This idea only makes sense for the first time someone is dancing because they don't know what to expect."
    The first time someone dances they would be well advised to accept a guy on recommendation, who dances well & treats them well else anything could happen - and often does. In other aspects of life it's common for new people to ask for recommendation, so why not here?

    >>"However, it's crucial to inform beginner followers that they also have a say and encourage them"
    "Inform... encourage" - sound like the makings of a fine tango pedagogue :)

    >>"...to listen to themselves about what feels right or wrong from the beginning (not just submit and blindly follow)."
    Well if they're doing that then they probably have other non-tango problems that dancing tango ain't gonna fix.

    As a society, there's a tendency not only where people are not "encouraged" to think for themselves but willingly follow that trend.

    >>"Dancing with a partner is equivalent to having a conversation, and it should not be a "one-way information transfer". Followers should be able to "say no" if something doesn't feel right, and leaders should respect that."
    And many do :)

    >>"If a follower is aware that they are not only allowed but also encouraged to "speak for themselves"
    Many do, from the start.

    >>" trust would not be so big of an issue."
    Trust is not about feeling you are "allowed" to speak for yourself. Of course you are allowed. It can, unfortunately, be about finding the guy who agrees with that - and with whom you want to do that. And sometimes what you want is to be quiet.

    >>"A potential problem, however, is that most leaders put way too much (physical) pressure, attempting to offer a "clear, strong lead", so they completely silence the other dancer and take away their ability to communicate and express themselves."
    Then the obvious question is: "why accept them?" And things are not always black and white. Sometimes I dance with guys with "strong leads" because I like the embrace or their dance is fun or who knows why. Life would be dull if things were so clear cut.

    >>This always results in the follower doubting themselves, whether it's their 'ability to dance'
    This "can" result in the follower doubting themselves. Which leads to "maybe I chose the wrong partner"

    "or how good they are at choosing partners."
    And that comes with practise and recommendation. It takes time and experience and you don't always get it right and that's fine. Who's keeping score? Tango - learning the music, the patterns of behaviour, the culture in the milongas both in Europe and the very different world of Buenos Aires, the vast hinterland of Argentine culture and language associated with tango is a slow game, as in, years. That is the ongoing pleasure of it, here at least.

    >> Furthermore, it plants the seed for insecurity and self-doubt, which could be harmful, especially for people who struggle with this already.
    Dancing tango is no panacea and includes not insignifcant risks of the sort your allude to especially if you do it solo as is well attested elsewhere in this blog. The Stuttgart weekend stands out in particular but there have been countless examples, including nearer to home. Milongas can be brutal places especially if you don't know anyone and if you have the troubles you mention. I am amazed I did so much solo and survived. If you have someone experienced onside it helps.

    "We need more conversation about this off the dance floor, so both parties understand that it's about "the navigator and the interpreter", not so much about "the leader and the follower"."
    A nice distinction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous said: "Perhaps, a piece on 'what to look for' in potential dance partners would be extremely helpful to those new to the milonga".
      That's easy - whoever best suits *you*. As is evident from spending any time in any milonga, different people like different things. There is even a piece somewhere here called "Many different perspectives". Plenty of people just like to be up, moving around and "getting dances".

      I know what I like & I know the clues to look for it but it's taken a long time. It's a question of each person new to the milonga discovering what suits them best. As has been said many times on this blog it is a question of compatibility. There is no "one-size-fits-all". Dancing tango is a unique thing between two people, different each dance and different for each couple.

      Delete