Wednesday 3 July 2024

Contempt

Djgriffin7CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Might they think 'contempt' is a bit strong?, I wondered, after the last piece. Yet only the day before I had been chatting to someone who said how unpleasant it was dancing in London.  I agreed.  Egotistical, arrogant, rude, impersonal is more than sufficient to convey the idea.  I remember one basement práctica where I had felt transparent, invisible.  I think it might have been with reference to London that he told me that he invited a woman to dance only for her to look him up and down, sneer at his shoes and spit out, 'No, you don't have the right kind of shoes'. I clarified and yes she actually said that. 

But it wasn't just there.  The guy was a confident dancer, musical, fun, not fancy. Even when he sat with tango champion friends, women would sometimes still treat him with contempt.  

Yet the same guy talked to me about the  "tango community" worldwide. Inasmuch as people attending milongas make community, I guess. He was generous spirited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment