Wednesday 4 September 2024

Salon Canning revamp



I was catching up with Janis' blog and saw a post from April about the revamp in Salon Canning.

It looks so clinical now not the "home" Janis mentions and that I remember. Salon Canning has featured on the banner of the Outpost for years, and you can just see the mural on it. The photo above shows all of it. Janis talks about the place being like a theatre where people watch the "show" of the social dancing, which is exactly what is happening here.  

I only danced at Canning a couple of times I think. The DJ was Mario who played mostly good music, similar to Dany. [Buenos Aires DJ's Dany Borelli and Mario Orlando] I am still astonished that I meet porteños here who say they play traditional music but who have not heard of Dany Borelli. 

It was in Canning that I met one of the best local dancers during my stay in Buenos Aires, Roberto who spoke English. 

Now I remember that was the unusual thing about that milonga. The men could be seated mixed in with the women. I checked it in the photos. That didn't happen in nearly all the other traditional milongas I attended, except maybe Gricel.


No comments:

Post a Comment