Monday 9 March 2015

Good music




I wrote this piece as context against my notes about traditional tango music and dancing in Berlin. because opinion is only useful if you know where it is coming from...


My setlists show what I play; classics from the 30s and 40s because I think good dancers dance well the pieces that they know and love. Even while we have individual preferences, many enjoy the best of all the main orchestras  from the Golden Age of tango. Variety is sought by many especially in a milonga frequented by people with a range of ages, experience and tastes.

I like the strength and gentleness of De Angelis in the 40s, Martel's voice with it's unstable edge, in contrast to the soothing reassurance of the singer Carlos Dante. I love De Angelis' wild instrumental, El huracán from '48.  I like the unpredictable insanity of Biagi, the creativity and drive of d'Arienzo. I like the relaxed lightness in D'Agostino, the disguised loneliness and darkness in Rodriguez, the solitary pride, quirkiness and gentleness in Lomuto and his romantic vals.  I like the sweetness and romance of Fresedo's songs and his adventurous instrumentals.  I like the energy, the early sophistication and invention of OTV, the humour and unexpected complexity of Donato and the smooth luxury of Demare.  I like Tanturi being demanding and tempting fate, the different sides of Canaro, Caló, Laurenz, di Sarli and Troilo, the strangeness of Pugliese and the disconcerting similarity of some of his pieces to those of his mentor, De Caro, decades before.  I like the contrast, the variety, the richness, the spectrum, the best of it all.

I dislike the dramatic, exaggerated, empty showiness of most of the 50s and later. The orchestral sound of much of that is not suited to tango music and I don't like the 50s "reverb" effect which sounds like instruments playing in an empty room. I can think of nothing I like from the twenties, the undeveloped, sheer head-nodding dullness of much Guardia Vieja.

I like my tandas with four tangos, not a cowardly, kindergarten trio.  I generally prefer the same orchestra in one tanda, but not always.  Of course I want cortinas.  It goes without saying I don't want tango nuevo, non-tango or even cover versions of classics by modern bands.  Sorry, but I stick by the saying: the best tango orchestras are the dead ones.  In some ways I wish it were otherwise but then there is so much in that canon and I doubt I will ever tire of it.

 The music determines if I dance and who I dance with.  I like music so good it pulls you to your feet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment