Friday 22 May 2015

NEWS: A practica by dancers, for dancers


I was really pleased to see that there is a new practica run by dancers for dancers and beginners running over the summer about 45 minutes drive from me. 

It is north east of me, near Forfar and will run for 2.5 hours. I think of it as "Paddy Tango" because it is in a place called Padanaram, in Angus, but in fact it is part of Dundee Tango Society.

The music will be a "varied selection of tango music". I am not sure what that means.

It is a great thing when there are standalone (no classes beforehand) practicas and milongas.

"I didn't understand at first, but there was NO music during my private lessons. I was able to concentrate on what I wanted the follower to do without worrying about keeping up with the music. I wrote a long time ago that there shouldn't be music during classes so leaders and followers can concentrate on movement instead of rushing to the music. If you can't execute a figure without music, you definitely can't execute a figure with music." 
- By "Michael" on the Tango-L mailing list for May 2015

This is what I believe happens when you stick classes in front of practicas and milongas. You get people thinking it is all about the figures and they just can't let go of that idea. You get what Michael goes on to say:

"When I sit out a tanda, I love to watch women's faces as they pass me. Very few have a look of bliss. Some have a look that says "Please. Shoot me and put me out of my misery." Others have a look that says "Please. Shoot him and put me out of my misery."" 

They become deaf to the music and their partner so there isn't really dancing going on. When in fact it's all about the music. You don't need actually need any figures at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment