Tuesday 13 September 2016

Dancing in Benelux


In August I went to dance in the Netherlands.  That weekend I danced in De Plantage, Amsterdam, the part-alternative Waterlelie outdoor milonga in Leiden, the part-neo/alternative Underground milonga in Amersfoort and the part-alternative outdoor milonga on the Wilhelminapier in Rotteredam. From this trip I realised that while I still love traditional music and many aspects of traditionally run milongas I really value a relaxed atmosphere. The Dutch are relaxed. It is tempting to say I would rather go to a milonga I find relaxing with a mixture of music than a milonga with a stiff, awkward atmosphere and great music.  But I can't because I have been to relaxed milongas with terrible music or mostly neo or non-tango music in the UK and found them very depressing. But in the Netherlands I had a nice time at milongas with mixed music even if I did not dance to it, or tried to but did not generally succeed. Novelty might have had something to to do with it. I think expectation counts for a lot - whether for example you go to a milonga thinking of it as a social event or as a dance event.

On my second trip this past weekend I went to the Tuinhuis milonga in Utrecht, the practica El Sur (briefly) and El centro milonga both in Antwerp in Belgium, then back to the Netherlands to dance in Amsterdam's outdoor milonga in Oosterpark then La Bruja.

I had confirmation that:
- Outdoor dancing is lovely though the floors can be appalling.
- Biking in the Netherlands is fantastic.
- Accommodation in Amsterdam is really scarce and expensive and not just in August
- The worst dancers nearly always are the ones who walk up/hand-offer to invite women. The more traditional the milonga, the more this is true.  Also, the worse the dancer the more disbelieving they can be when you say no thank-you.
- I am probably not compatible with guys who refuse point-blank to swap roles. 
- It is so nice to have a friend to go to an unknown milonga with.  Just knowing someone friendly in the room to sit with or chat to now and then makes such a difference. It can be even better when it's a local woman who gives you the low-down on the guys.
- The experience of travel can be as good or better than the experience of the milongas.

Also:
- Utrecht is pretty and has a nice vibe.
- If you travel far for milongas you don't know much about they can be as bad or worse than  milongas you don't know much about nearby, so better go to those at least first.
- Why do some milongas/scenes devlop a "closed" atmosphere?
- Where was everyone in the city of Antwerp?
- It is likely faster, nicer (and much safer on a bike) to just ask the way than to use your phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment