Wednesday 20 February 2019

Choice




"A 'professional' telling two regular people how to feel about each other is actually perverted. And so leads to the perverted dance that is class tango."


“ I was still dancing steps in class trying to mesh the woman's step with the man's step. Whether someone looked at you was neither here nor there - and no-one did because they were all being directed.”


Choice was never part of tango dance class. You were put with a partner, or you rotated partners or you just got whoever was left, like at games, in school. I went to a dance class once where you did have a kind of choice of partner.  You wandered about until you found someone, but that still isn't a real choice.  In a class, ultimately you have to pick someone.  Choosing who to embrace isn't part of it. But then in dance class, there is no real embrace.   Like automata, participants act out the mechanics of whatever the teacher directs and sets in motion.  In life, whether a kiss happens or not is in large part, down to the right moment.  A different atmosphere creeps upon the couple, like an enveloping mist, the rules change or perhaps they fall away, and there suddenly, you are.  But it is something private, something that grows between two people and is easily disturbed.  Thus it is with an embrace, in dance or in life. A kiss, an embrace, a mood between two people all have their own, delicate timing. These things cannot be forced, built by others or decided for you.  Why are so many gulled into thinking they are directable operations?  There is no "being directed" in dancing tango.  Where that happens in class, participants are just cogs, grinding badly with other cogs. There is nothing natural about that; it is just some sorry, distasteful, lurching simulacrum that has nothing to do with dance.

Freedom and the creative process
Those moments where good choice comes to fruition, where something glimmers then grows because the environment is healthy and natural, are by no means limited to interactions between people.  I heard a writer describing how, if all is well, the creative process is something that happens largely unconsciously.  Eventually, you come to write down what has been growing away, forming itself at the back of your mind and it almost writes itself.  But on one occasion he arrived at the point where he was supposed to get the writing done - perhaps there was a deadline for a book - and there was nothing there.  The unconscious creative process hadn't happened.  I had to jerry-build that section, he said, and it was hard work.

Distraction
I went to milongas early on, attracted by being able to choose who I danced with, when, and to what music.  But I was too shy to look at guys I might have liked to dance with. If someone had looked to me, with a notion of inviting me to dance, I wouldn't have noticed anyway.  I was already so absorbed with technique and dance homework. Those guys were too good, anyway, so I thought, to want me although this feeling changed as I discovered some of them did. 

Doubt
Doubt is a feeling familiar to many women in the milongas, especially beginner women. The same is true in life, if you ask them. Doubt, hesitation is more characteristic of women than of men. It goes with our biology. We have to choose, are careful. A hesitating man will never make a great hunter. It did not matter much - most people seemed to arrange dances with their friends. In Edinburgh, the environment was not conducive to an invitation by look, to dance. The light was dim and cortinas were not played at the end of a tanda, which causes all sorts of problems around invitation. Instead, I chatted, gradually met many people and thus became known and danced. Sometimes, in my first year, I would beg for tango miles. It is embarrassing to think about it now, but if you are not brought up in a good environment and, as happens in many places, you are left to sink or swim, you won't know what's what and you will just try to find your own way. No wonder people choose the supposed security of class compared to stumbling about on their own.

Control
But in class one was told who to embrace - sometimes forcefully: Come on, embrace him!, I was ordered, my hand pushed around the man's shoulders, my chest shoved against his, as though we were the filling on some abhorrent sandwich made by the teacher's hands.  Come on! -  no matter that I had seen how my 'partner' liked to rove his hands all over young women, or smelt or was just Eugh! I remember talking to a guy about how dance class could be dreadful because having to rotate partners, there was no free choice. He said: "Oh, I don't find that. Few girls are unembraceable." In that moment I realised that girls don’t necessarily feel the same way about guys.  Yet this week, a man, a non-dancer, someone for whom nuance is important, made the point: 

I think men are not all the same...

4 comments:

  1. While I agree with almost all you have written here, this is only a diagnosis. What is the remedy? Basically, the question is how one starts to learn tango?

    I also went through confusion and frustration of tango classes, tried many of them, but realization and clear sense of direction came only after carefully reading and rereading "Tango and Chaos in Buenos Aires".

    Well, anyway, what is your take on how one can start learning tango without wasted effort, money and time on disinformation given in classes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    Agreed, Tango and Chaos is a good resource!

    I am guessing you're a guy? Have you read Colin? I suppose that’s my example piece about how a guy learnt to dance well (in the woman’s role) in a few hours.

    Women (in the trad role) learn just by dancing with experienced partners. That isn’t hard to do or to get. It can be easier for younger women, attractive women and/ or slimmer women. That is a law of life. That said, there are no hard and fast rules. The answer is it depends who you are, what your community is like, how experienced the scene is, what the culture is like there...

    I'd like to say a word about the queer tango community, especially for women who may struggle to get dances in the straight community or who may not fit the profile of women who get dances easily there. In my brief experiences with QT dancers, I found that they are more accepting than the straight community, there is less pretention and in general, as a group, I found better dancers there than among straight groups. I would say that makes for a great learning resource, whoever you are.

    The short answer for guys: they should go to the milonga, the practica, chat, ask questions, watch, absorb the music just by being there. Choose their role models. Talk to them. Learn in the woman’s role with anyone who will have them. In the woman's role you can learn even from bad 'leaders' by their demonstration of what's unpleasant. Don't linger with these types though. Guys would learn (later) the guys role by dancing with good dancers they have picked for themselves. They may offer or the new guy may have to pay. If he has to pay them, he should make clear how he learns best. If he just want them to show him stuff, tell them that. If he just wants them to dance with him so he can get how it feels, tell them that. It’s about dancing, feeling, sensing. It’s not about being talked at. At most it’s about asking a question (if necessary) and being shown. Distrust anyone who talks at you more than they dance with you. Basically a new guy would do what you did by asking the question here - they would ask. They would show that they want to learn from others, but exercise caution over who they learn from. They would be careful about criticism - considering who gives it, whose they think is justified. Most of all, they would seek compatible people, not people rated by others and definitely not harsh people who can kill a beginner with a word. They will understand that look is not feel, and feel is everything. They will realise that it is not about how you look to others but how you feel to your partner. They just need an experienced friend or friends in the milonga, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Very interesting.

    Hmm... Perhaps, I should reconsider my rule of not dancing with beginner ladies in milongas. By beginners I mean those who can not take a step, let alone on the music. My thought was that milonga is not a place for teaching or learning. Not at the basic level at least.

    Me and my SO do have a rule, though, to dance with one or two new faces. These are usually visiting people and need a dance to start getting invitations. It is a return courtesy for when I happen to visit somewhere else. Some are surprisingly good dancers.

    Also, sometimes I meet people who I first met in tango classes years ago. They still go those classes, hoping that the better times will come and eventually they will be ready for social dancing. I keep telling them, come to this good milonga here, sit and watch, listen to music, develop an eye and ear for what you want. No one listens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HB,

      I agree the milonga isn't a place for teaching, but I think there's everything to learn there, teaching and learninga being entirely different things.

      I am delighted to hear you may dance with beginner women. I went to a practica with 30 people today and sat for an hour wishing there was a complete beginner to dance with. They are usually preferrably to those who do class.

      It's nice also to hear when people invite others to the milonga. But people who do and especially who stay in classes are usually lost to them so I hope you're not discouraged. It's a different sort that enjoys milonga life over class life.

      Nice too to hear about visitors being welcomed in the milonga.

      It's been a depressing evening so this is a nice note to end on. Thanks!

      Delete