Tuesday 8 November 2016

DJs like spoons



Generally, I don’t like to see attention drawn to the DJ spot. In nearly every milonga I visit the DJ is given some kind of prominence. Often they are up on a stage and not always I feel just to be out of the way of dancers. Or they are in the centre of the short side of the room, as here, the table surrounded by fairy lights as if to emphasise how special the DJ is. I love fairy lights and would not want to deny them to any DJ but I see no reason for the kind of prominence and adulation some DJs seem to seek or are given. 

Who is the star, really?  The music, or the person choosing it & sticking it on the sound system? I remember a sound engineer saying that DJing for tango, is one the easiest types of DJing, which may be why it attracts so many rank amateurs.

I often hear scepticism about some well-known tango DJ names. I remember someone saying they would like to borrow a set from a well known DJ, one of the names that commonly draws a crowd and play it under their own, less well known, name, just to see how it was received.  The idea was an experiment regarding to what extent dancers are influenced by name over content.   Someone else mentioned a DJ  - not a 'big' name  but one I have heard reliably mentioned as probably worth hearing - referred to by someone else, to my surprise as not being a name that attracted good dancers, probably because my guess is they are low-key and unflashy rather than that they do not play well.

My ideal host would run a milonga with such reliably good music that the DJ name would not matter.  I imagine that such a place would be so reliable it would be bound to attract good dancers. Other things in life - school, work, family - being equal, and they never are, for that musical peace of mind and the prospect of the good dancers I might reasonably expect to find there,  I can imagine moving to such a place were such a host healthily robust and heartily committed.

A few examples of less prominent DJing or DJ organisation stand out for me. The Edinburgh festivalito had the DJ table in the corner and when I heard DJ Solveig in Cambridge in January in I think her UK DJ debut she not only occupied a quiet spot off the busy floor but was a very quiet DJ, watching and listening, although it proved later in the year not listening enough. Now she teaches, so not that quiet I guess.

The DJ was never the focus I noticed in Buenos Aires. There, DJ's tend to be paid professionals.  Many do not dance or do not dance much.  In Lo de Celia, Dany Borelli, a non-dancer and the best DJ I heard, shared his space with the barman. Wholly unpretentious in t-shirt, sneakers and specs you could have mistaken him for the barman. He was up on the stage in Centro Región La Leonesa but set back, behind you as you come in and so unobtrusive that for a long time I didn't twig to where the DJ was. In Gricel the DJ used to be above the dancers, seeing but unseen though Janis says that's changed now. In El Beso, it's the same thing - the DJ is quietly above the dancers. Even in Obelisco, the DJ is down the far end in a little room on their own near the loos. In Buenos Aires the DJs seemed to be, yes important, but tools, facilitators not the god-like creatures many seem to want to be or are made into. 

A bike, to the Dutch is like a piece of cutlery, functional, reliable. Its purpose is to get you from A to B. Here in the UK, bikes are often recreational objects of desire and status. Here in Europe, DJs seem to think they have to differentiate themselves and play special surprises.  I was defending a DJ against scepticism today:  "But did he play any treasure tracks?" came the biting question, meaning any of the hidden gems I've mentioned before that are obscure and unknown for good reason.   I too don't like treasure track DJs.  I prefer to think of tango DJs rather like Dutch bikes and spoons.

9 comments:

  1. Felicity wrote: "This DJ table looked nice but in general I don’t like to see attention drawn to the DJ spot."

    :)

    True story follows.

    Years ago at London's Carablanca, the DJ would work from the edge of the top of a floor-side stage at a position almost perfect for sound. No room or need for a table.

    One night a visiting DJ / class teacher told the organiser this was unacceptable, that there must be a table for the DJ, to show him/her "the respect that the role deserved" (IIRC).

    Next time I arrived to DJ, the spot had been moved to a specially placed table at a position great for being seen... and dire for hearing the sound. I had no problem with having to walk around to make the usual sound adjustments...

    ... but DJs less comfortable with leaving the new Position of Importance certainly did. One of the best told me how the same organiser hassled him throughout the evening for not delivering the desired volume level.

    He doesn't DJ there now.

    And many more astonishingly poor DJs do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice story.

      Volume control is very often appalling by DJs sitting behind the speakers - and dangerously deafening. Sometimes I feel like sueing DJs that damage hearing that way.

      I think the best way to check the sound as the dancers hear it is to dance a bit. That only works for small milongas else in large venues - if you dance the whole tanda - apart from anything else you simply can't get back to your seat in time to manage the appropriate volume and length of the cortina - and a DJ needs to because the volume of chat and the speed of clearing the floor goes up and down all the time.

      I've seen countless times and was told another story only today of this time a big name DJ DJing and dancing at a small milonga and having to rush off the floor to adjust the volume because the tracks hadn't been normalised for sound. It's so common and so poor.

      Some don't even rush. In a different recent episode DJ Mike Quickfall, last time I heard him DJ in Stirling was in no hurry to leave the dance floor despite the many sound issues.

      The other thing of course is if one dances and DJs, for some you just don't look like you're taking it seriously enough. For such people look is more important than what is actually the fact. But I think a few can DJ very well and also dance. A lot of it is in the pre-processing and preparation. In contrast, many can't manage the soundcraft - volume, gaps, crashes, bleeps - never mind good selection, while sitting.

      Delete
    2. I use a SPL meter to check the actual sound levels (perception can sometimes let you down) by walking around the room and taking readings. If the room is full of dancers preferring to chat than to dance, turning up the volume will usually only make them shout. It's counter-productive.

      The soundcraft is a deal-breaker for me: if the DJ can't even get THAT right, there is very little chance that I will enjoy an event.

      Delete
    3. Clive said:

      I use a SPL meter to check the actual sound levels (perception can sometimes let you down) by walking around the room and taking readings.
      You mean the way dancers' ears let them down? I understand some do believe more in the reality - some might say crutch - of digital figures on a screen than in actually being in the room. Some others with that little faith in their own personal sensory equipment might not want to DJ.

      If the room is full of dancers preferring to chat than to dance, turning up the volume will usually only make them shout. It's counter-productive.
      I suppose there might be a view that one should just play the cortina at the same level all night, - the same when there's seven people or seventy - even if it can't be heard.

      Delete
    4. Yes. I do mean that sometimes a subjective impression of volume is not supported by objective measurement. Dancers are no more infallible than DJs.

      True Story:
      A 'big event' milonga in the SW (100+ dancers). Early on, one of the dancers asks the DJ to turn down the volume, a bit. "Oh, sorry", comes the reply, "I didn't realise. I haven't got my hearing aid switched on".

      I use a SPL to help me calibrate my own ears. I choose the volume that I think suits the situation, and check it. I don't exceed what I consider to be a safe level.

      At the start of an event, seven people in a big space won't absorb much sound. Later, when there are seventy, the DJ may have doubled the gain to maintain the volume. There's nothing wrong with using tools as an adjunct to judgment. I don't see the cortina as any sort of special case. If I have to turn it up, just to get the attention of the dancers and the chatters, I might as well go home. If it just can't be heard, then I am so far from achieving competence in the craft of what I do (never mind the art), that I might as well go home.

      Delete
    5. Clive wrote: Yes. I do mean that sometimes a subjective impression of volume is not supported by objective measurement. Dancers are no more infallible than DJs.
      Dancers are not infallible to what, exactly? Is there some requirement upon the dancers in that regard?

      A 'big event' milonga in the SW (100+ dancers). Early on, one of the dancers asks the DJ to turn down the volume, a bit. "Oh, sorry", comes the reply, "I didn't realise. I haven't got my hearing aid switched on".
      One wouldn't like to suggest that a DJ with a hearing problem perhaps ought to refrain from DJing if they can get round the issue with a hearing aid and a technical instrument. Though I can't help but wonder if it is the wisest choice of occupation or past-time, particularly when everyone present relies on the DJ. Perhaps at that time such a person, if experienced might be more effective in a mentoring or other supportive role.

      Delete
    6. Felicity wrote: "Volume control is very often appalling by DJs sitting behind the speakers - and dangerously deafening ... I think the best way to check the sound as the dancers hear it is to dance a bit."

      Generally DJs who play very loud do so intentionally.

      They don't want to check the sound on the floor. They know it is very loud and that's they way they want it.

      They don't need to check the sound on the floor. With it being so so loud, they get enough reaching behind the speakers to be able to judge it from there.

      They don't like to check the sound on the floor. The sound on the floor is deafening!

      And they do so like to put about the idea that DJs should not dance. Even to the point of advertising e.g. "I never dance while I DJ".

      I dislike very loud. Thankfully it is rare in regular UK milongas, except from some visiting DJs.

      Delete
    7. They don't like to check the sound on the floor. The sound on the floor is deafening!
      Do you know, that is exactly what I felt when I watched DJ Ewa the last time. She knew perfectly well the sound was loud enough to cause you to involuntarily duck when in front of the speakers and she quite evidently didn't want to go in front of the speakers long during her supposed tests. Yet all the dancers had to pass directly in front of those speakers. I am still cross with myself that I stayed the two hours I did.


      I dislike very loud. Thankfully it is rare in regular UK milongas, except from some visiting DJs.
      Sadly not rare enough I find. DJ Mike Quickfall who plays in Scotland being another of this type of DJ. This being not the only time I have been deafened by him.

      In England though it is true I have usually, luckily found the same as you.

      Delete
  2. Playing another DJ's set in your own name is never going to prove anything. What might prove something would be if the 'Big Name' DJ was announced, and was seen, sitting at that DJ table - under the spotlight, and surrounded with fairy lights; but that a second cable ran across the stage to the laptop of the other guy, who played his own set from behind the curtain.

    All the in-crowd luvvies, who flocked to swoon at the feet of 'Big Name' DJ (rather like they used to rush to the stage in Golden Age milongas the better to adore the latest good-looking singer) will love it, and (almost) no one will actually notice that the music is better than usual.

    There's no point in doing the test. The ego of the 'Big Name' DJ would be far too fragile to ever agree to the ruse, but even if they did the adoring fans wouldn't notice anyway. "Wonderful", "Fabulous" they'll all say, clapping their hands like performing seals.

    ReplyDelete