Saturday 12 November 2016

Head-banging to Pugliese

opethpainter



I can think of a few examples most unlike the more low-key DJ spots I mentioned. Most memorably, Beth Anne Osborn. I heard her the first year of the Blackpool Tower weekend (2014) which was the only year I went. Video. I already mentioned the highlights for me of that weekend, which were neither the music nor the dancing. I heard Beth Anne DJ at the Marine Hall in Fleetwood on the Sunday. 

'A':  What can you do if the DJ is playing painfully loud music?
'B':  Normally I leave, and avoid that DJ in future.
'A':  Can you say something?
'B':  Yup. You can tell the organiser why you are leaving.
'A':  I asked the organiser to do something about the sound which was so loud I was wincing & my ear hurt. I sat and sat and sat. I enjoyed watching the dancers for quite a while. The music was good. I talked to the DJ for 5 minutes. She runs the Portland tango festival. 
'B': Famous for the likes of this . (I have never been.)
'A':  I learnt some interesting things about tango in Ann Arbor, Michigan & her view of the differences in guys internationally. But the volume was still going up & down. When she put on Fresedo so loud it distorted the sound I'd had enough. Where we had been chatting, behind the speakers it was fine & she only walked the room once (after I complained to the host! ).

I left and took a walk along the beach in the sun and went back in later.

As I was leaving my friend came out to see if I was alright. I said I wanted fresh air & sunshine. She asked if I was having a nice time & I explained. "You're not in the mood, are you?" she said. "You're not making any effort to dance! Take off your cardigan & look as though you want to dance! "
'B': Ah. Start with a lie. :)
'A': I protested, "I'm cold!".  It was a big room.  On the one hand what she said was all perfectly true. But I was doing the textbook thing - waiting to be asked & keeping an eye out. But no I wasn't in the mood & getting less so every ten minutes. I'd already avoided a few "late cruisers": guys who cruise the hall after the tanda has started. I wasn't sure how they danced but I didn't think it was worth the risk. And I wasn't returning eye contact with guys with whom I didn't know how they danced. So after I'd been there an hour & a half I realised it wasn't salvageable & left.

To 'C':

“I saw an American DJ Beth-Anne Osborn doing the same once [pumping the air]. Someone told me she organises an alternative scene in the US. She played good tracks when I heard her 18mo ago at Fleetwood near Blackpool but the headbanging to Pugliese, the focus of the DJ spot on the stage, the arm punching the air... :( :( I didn't dance a single tanda there - the conditions, the gloomy room and the deafening volume made for one of the most unpleasant atmospheres I can remember at a milonga. I went for a walk on the beach instead eventually. But I see last year they brought her back again. Friendly lady though.”

I don't want to be mean. Beth Anne was interesting and accommodating to talk to a stranger mid-tanda.  Maybe the head-banging is just the American way and the track, which was near the end I think, was amazing. It felt like slow-motion or the notes at that point drawn out. If memory distorted slightly I might visualize a strobe light too. That's what it felt like to me, observing:  that piece of the track in slow-motion and Beth Ann on stage, her torso and head moving up and down to the music, completely absorbed by it. It felt slightly surreal, like neon flickering in a bar where all is not quite what it seems.

But she was participative and having fun and shouldn't the DJ have a good time too?  Why should anyone care what she does on stage - the dancers were dancing, the sitters were watching (and we weren't many) and Beth Anne was enjoying herself.  I think we are just used to our DJs being more reserved here. It was fun, it was entertaining for me, watching. It was a cultural thing.  It was only unusual. Let's say it was just that I didn't have a good time there.  Maybe I felt at the time a bit coerced which I'm hardly pro at the best of times, least of all on a day when I've been deafened, frozen, not danced and eventually abandoned ship.  I just felt there was a bit too much "whipping up".

Then again, sometimes things just really do go too far.  I'm thinking of DJ Goran Nikšić at the December Etonathon 2015 which I don't think I ever did get round to reviewing, though I reviewed Cambridge at New Year a few days later.  It was partly I suppose because I didn't see how I could pull off being honest, polite and still hope to get back in.  You can get a flavour of the guy and his music here.  I couldn't quite believe it when I saw the DJ line up for this year.  The new version (phew!). But it was what he actually did at  the Etonathon that I'm thinking of.    Another time maybe. 

2 comments:

  1. Felicity wrote: "I couldn't quite believe it when I saw the DJ line up for this year."

    Checks diary for that DJ's previous appearance at Eton. "DJ from hell. Almost all tango tandas are crap, though vals and milonga are good. Bad soundcraft. Continuous cretinous comedy patter on the tanda display."

    "I didn't see how I could pull off being honest, polite and still hope to get back in."

    You could promise NOT to mention all the other dire guest DJing at Etonathon in recent years. For that you'd deserve a welcome with open arms! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw - amazingly, for the first time - "Ode au tango" today, probably the most excruciatingly funny tango video I've come across - and thought to share this bit of it

    ReplyDelete