Tuesday 23 May 2023

Dancing to be social / Bailar para ser sociable


This post is a follow-up to Indiscriminada.

A woman who dances salsa told me: When I was younger and a man approached me, too full of himself, thinking himself god's gift, well, sometimes I would become a bit distant with him, but if he wasn't arrogant, acted normally, I would respond in kind, I would be respectful. I don't want to discriminate, I don't want to be rude to people who are not rude to me.

She behaved thus, empathetically. She said, "You have to put yourself in the other person's shoes"

But this is salsa, where most songs last between three and five minutes. Dancing tango is a dance in an embrace that lasts about twelve minutes with three pauses of a few seconds. It's about being relaxed with the other person, wanting to take care of them or trust them during that time, seeking a symbiotic, creative, intimate moment. I don't seek or offer dances to be polite. I don't try to soothe or calm anyone's ego. I seek a shared moment with someone who likes what I like, or where we can find some common ground. I dance in different ways depending on my partner, so my definition of common ground is quite broad.


*


Este texto es un seguimiento de Indiscriminada.

Una mujer que baila salsa me contó: Cuando era más joven y me entraba un hombre que se las daba, dándoselas, pues, yo, a veces me ponía un poco borde con él, pero si el hombre se actuaba de forma normal, sin ser prepotente, yo hablaba con el normal, lo respetaba. No quiero discriminar, no quiero ser grosera con la gente que no es grosera conmigo.

Se comportó así por empatía. Dijo "Hay que ponerse en la piel del otro".

Pero esto es salsa, donde la mayoría de los temas duran entre tres y cinco minutos. Bailar tango es un baile en un abrazo que dura unos doce minutos con tres pausas de unos segundos. Se trata de estar relajado con la otra persona, de querer cuidarla o confiar en él durante ese tiempo, de buscar un momento simbiótico, creativo, íntimo. No busco ni ofrezco bailes para ser cortés. No intento calmar el ego de nadie, ni curarlo. Busco un momento compartido con alguien a quien le guste lo que a mí, o donde podamos encontrar algún punto en común. Bailo de formas diferentes según mi pareja, así que mi definición de terreno común es bastante amplia.


Estoy muy agradecida a Amelia y a los miembros del foro Wordreference por su ayuda con la traducción. Cualquier error restante es sólo mío.

Notes on translation:

The Spanish term "entrar de alguien" means something like to break the ice, but often with a sexual motive.

"Se las daba, dándoselas - usually these phrases are completed by "de" plus whatever you are passing yourself off as. Se las daba de listo, se las daba de chulo, se las daba de millonario… i.e. they passed themselves off as smart, as a pimp, as a millionaire etc. The terms seem not to be well understood in Latin American but are generally understood in Spain, even in the shortened form.

No comments:

Post a Comment