Thursday 28 September 2023

Imposing "help"


In dance forums and social media groups, people often say, well that idea of learning with good social dancers is all very well - if they will dance with you and help you. I realise there often aren't the experienced people around and willing to dance individually, spend time with beginner guys. That's a so-called "community" I wouldn't want to be in. But those people do exist. At a salsa practica in the city last week I found exactly the individual help I in turn needed from an apparently respected social dancer. Only poor social dancers impose help unasked. It is a form of blind insistence.

A woman, a superb new dancer, who comes to my class & practica whispered to me about a much older guy that was causing her problems in and out of public. Teaching her stuff in the practica, unasked, was the least of it.

- But don't you find, that the people who can dance don't teach you stuff, they just dance with you and it somehow works, like magic.
- Yes, she said

No comments:

Post a Comment