Saturday 30 March 2019

Begging

"A plea for a solo leader thinking of going! I've registered on my own as solo follower, but this means that I will likely be put on waiting list and may not even get in - or that if I do get in it will be at last minute and I'll have to pay high costs for hotel+transport. Anyone out there that can help me out by agreeing to register with me to improve chances of getting in? Please? Pretty please?"

I saw this today on Facebook.  It's a woman begging for help to get into a tango marathon.  I know the people who run this marathon.  They have always been courteous to me.  I never 'applied' to go to that marathon because I knew there was a selection process and like many I couldn't bear to do something so undignified as be 'selected' to join, especially by people you know and have danced with.  I heard the marathon might have been fun if you were in the young European set but older, local dancers I spoke to who went found it snobbish and cliquey.  I think it's probably the same experience for many people in many similar events. 

I don't think it does to pin your hopes on any tango event or even milonga.  It's just too unpredictable - the venue, the floor, the music, the sound, the hosts, the atmosphere, the dancing, the things people say.  Years of experience tells me don't make a milonga the focal point of any day and then you can only ever be pleasantly surprised if things turns out well.  For me, now and I see the same in many people who have danced for years - going to a milonga is a optional extra, something you do if your friends are going or you want to do something in the evening after a day doing something else.

I went to the marathon in Sheffield after Christmas because I was invited - a completely different thing.  I went to two enucentros in Spain because I had heard they were less likely to do that kind of selection and in any case, for one of them it was the first time they were running it, when organisers are less likely to be choosy.  I am going to the Totally in Tango even in Toulouse in July, but the organisers makes a point of not having a waiting list for all the stress that these entail. Besides, it's for dual role dancers, who, if they are anything like me are much less fussy about things like gender balance - one of the main reasons for women ending up trailing on a waiting list.

But this poor woman, reduced to begging to strangers, in public.  She handily lists the disadvantages of a selection process for us:  the inconvenience and indignity of being put a waiting list, of waiting for a man.  Woman in the know don't wait for men.  I remember reading that of the protagonist in Tango & Chaos years ago.  They use their power so that, if anything, the men wait on them.

And this being put on a waiting list, for a dance in which decorum has a status, where begging for dances is unseemly.  I'm sure this woman doesn't beg for dances, so why does she beg to get in to an event?  Perhaps she thinks her enthusiasm will move the organisers.  Even once on a waiting list she knows she may not get in or only at the last minute when she will have to pay through the nose for travel and accommodation.    Eugh.  Why do it?  

Perhaps, once in, they pay you!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, now you pick my interest. What is the difference between being selected and being invited? Both have this committte-vote ring to me. As for beggars in tango, wasn't it the main subject of Veronica's essay?
    vhttps://www.facebook.com/notes/veronica-toumanova/why-in-tango-we-are-not-that-social/10152166275132499
    Back when I read it, it conjured up the lines of "Soy mendigo" in my mind, the tango about begging and winning. My tale about being a beggar, vs. being plain mean, is in Russian, but you probably get the idea.
    http://letras-de-tango-en-ruso.blogspot.com/2015/08/soy-mendigo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MOCKBA, "What is the difference between being selected and being invited?". You mean to a closed event like a marathon or an enceuntro? If you're invited there aren't all those indignities of queueing and begging for a man and begging for to get in and the hassle of booking expensive last minute accommodation and travel, if finally you're accepted at the end, among the dregs. If you're invited, you know you're wanted. If you're not, that's clear too, which is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't sound like any difference. Couples still get an edge other regular followers when the organizers contemplate who to invite, and followers still get to play tricks with finding willing leaders, and then late cancellations result in the same travel problems for those who get a late chance to advance from the wait list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mockba, Are we talking about the same thing? If it's a private event there is no saying what it's going to be like. The organisers may not do a gender balance. They may not invite couples only, in fact they probably won't. If you are invited as a woman then you probably don't have to go man-hunting. And there is no wait list with an invitation. You're either invited or you're not.

    ReplyDelete