Saturday 23 March 2019

Social learning

The idea of social learning - people learning from other people in a way that is not top-down and hierarchical is not widespread, it's not a well-known, good 'thing' like in everyday awareness 'recycling' or 'saving energy' even though it happens all the time - in families, between friends, in mentor relationships and even some apprenticeships.

It is about experienced people guiding newer people in settings which are the real conditions in which what is to be learned applies. It is not more about experience and competence than about that often masquerading label “a professional”. Sure, I want a qualified doctor to operate on me, or a qualified electrician to work on my house, but more than that, I want someone who understands what I need, someone I trust and who has a lot of experience. Just because you call yourself a professional it doesn’t mean you have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment