Thursday 7 March 2019

Stunted growth

Learning in the milonga or the practica is unmistakably different and not for people who want a tickbox to check their progress. I met a woman in a practica recently who has danced for perhaps a year. She said her progress was slower now. 

- What do you mean? 
- In the classes, there was just so much information, I couldn’t process it all. So now I haven’t signed up to any more. I come to this sort of thing instead. 

Her body had sensed the more natural way to learn but her mind still equated progress with being in class. What a sad conflict! I felt sorry for her though because looking at the guys there, with all those good instincts, who could she learn from? Yet despite those good instincts she accepted poor dancers and seemed happy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment