Friday 8 March 2019

How I learnt to dance both roles I:

These days it is not so common to find a case study of how somebody learned to dance in the man's role without or rather in spite of dance classes.  People are often surprised that I learned to dance the man's role like this and they often ask how guys can learn without classes.    

A lot of the process of learning both roles was learning what didn't work.  Essentially, that was in class.  I learned to dance the guy's role by walking and very quickly by dancing to music I knew in the milongas the way you hear guys used to.  It is important to choose understanding women.  I didn't think about steps, about dancing.  It just happened.  Key is to know the music and to already know what dancing as the woman feels like. Much later, I learned specific things by asking guys in practicas to show me by dancing with me and then swapping roles so I could try it out on them. None of this was a plan.  It's just how, through trial and error, things panned out.  It was a much better way than learning through class.

No comments:

Post a Comment