Thursday 27 July 2023

"Do you do classes?"


 

I looked for a photo of dance class but I just don't have any so here's a photo of people applauding a show by a local teacher. I always find it interesting to see people's reactions to shows which are essentially adverts for dance class.

Some of the people I danced with at our tango / salsa / bachata night loved discovering tango.  People in their 50s and 60s looked rejuvenated, like teenagers, or giddy with insight. 

When people dance with someone experienced, the first time they dance, if they enjoy it, it is common that they will then ask about class.  Why do they grab at the idea of class so immediately and insistently after their first, phenomenally successful time dancing tango, in say, a practica, milonga or unusual social like ours?  

You try to point out the dangers of the class route ahead.  Nowadays I even say that I rarely dance with people who do classes, which is true - there is no point. I can sense every time they start thinking their technique and their moves. But they can't seem to let go of the idea they think they'll be the exception. You try to point out how well they have danced and how unnecessary - and expensive - class can be.  But they are thinking intently What nextHow can I get this experience again? How can I get good enough to dance with other people?

 They don't want to be so forward as to ask you again but it was plain to see in some eyes.  I had no milonga or practica right then to offer them so, resourcefully, they start looking for solutions themselves.  I said, I am sure we will run something similar again soon, we can dance again, you can come with us to milongas, but it was probably too vague, too loose, too improvised. 

 The way forward is actually simple.  Go to practicas and milongas, where people you know, ideally your friends are going.  Find someone you trust to talk to. Get tips of which experienced people are good dancers. Try them.  Take in the atmosphere, watch, listen to the music, chat, trust your instincts.  Don't take any shit from pedagogic or controlling guys.  Take the long view of your dance journey.  It's that simple.  

Oh, and if you're a guy, dance in the woman's role first.  Admittedly, finding people to do that with can be tricky and if that's the case, pay someone to do it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment