Wednesday 5 July 2023

Warsaw Tango Wave and Vilnius marathon

Vilnius, 2018, Anthony Cronin via Flickr


At the event with the repeating orchestras and Guardia Vieja, I danced the one good tango tanda I heard  with a visitor who danced at Warsaw Tango Wave 5.   

He agreed booking closed events in advance was a pain - the flights, accommodation, possibility of not being able to go.  So did he prefer closed events or local milongas?  

I like the closed event and the local milonga, he said. Both have great dancing.  

The organisers of Tango Wave run his favourite milonga, La Hypnosis in the Palace of Science and Culture on Tuesdays.   If you are thinking of trying it out, he did mention it was nigh-on impossible to find. 

He had been turned down twice for the Vilnius marathon the first time, he said because he didn't know people and the second because even when he registered with a local, the response had been there were already too many locals.  There are summer and winter editions of this marathon.  The organisers also run a similar event in Riga, with three editions. 

Some friends who all dance very well had just got back from Vilnius. 

Would you go back? I asked one of them.

No.  The town wasn't attractive and I'd go somewhere where I can do classes, he said.

I looked at him, sidelong.

Classes? I said. 

Mmm, he said, grinning.

We laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment