Sunday 23 July 2023

Hosting tango / salsa / bachata




I knew it was Colombian independence day on 20 July and wanted to learn more about the country and have a party so suggested to a local Colombian woman I knew through salsa we have just that, a party with food.  After initial enthusiasm, with the hassle of finding a venue, the idea died. Meanwhile, another friend had already found a venue. Well, why don't we just have a dance party anyway?, I said. Tango and salsa?  Dundee has more salsa dancers than tango.  T's venue was the local ashram. I was in France so he set up the event, advertising it as tango / salsa / bachata.  Although the local salsa DJ is not a bachata fan, he does the same - otherwise I'd only have about 10 people here, he said. T set the entry at £2 in donations for the ashram, asked people to bring things to share and asked me to co-host.

The mix of dancers turned out to be a great idea. About 28 people, mostly salseros, came including the local salsa / bachata teacher.  I had not seen the venue until that evening. The lighting was not soft and there was a shortage of small tables but even so, people stayed, most til 11PM, the stated end time even though there was a shortage of leaders.  Many stayed beyond.

Some people expressed scepticism about tango at first but after trying it changed their minds. I heard again and again that people had enjoyed watching others dance tango too.  That is the way in: for people to see what the dance is like, without pressure and then be persuaded to try it.

Sometimes, I have gone to salsa and tango dances and been totally ignored.  Most recently this was to a salsa event in Mango, on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow where Tango Bar is also apparently now held in its new incarnation. An individualistic group ignores new people.  A warm community dances with them, gives them an "in".  I like events where people are welcomed and new people and visitors are invited to dance.  I find it surprisingly uncommon but that is the atmosphere I enjoy and would want to be host to, because the atmosphere comes in large part from the host/s. 

A: I have to say I didn't expect the salsa people to get into tango that much

B: Yes, but that's what happens when you have a friendly atmosphere & good leaders.

A: Yes, exactly.

The great things about a free or nearly free event is that because you are not doing it for the money, you can be entirely authentic in your welcome.  Sometimes people have turned up to my free milongas and practicas to whom I have perhaps nodded rather than embraced, but then I don't have to pretend because I am not taking their money.  Money is still necessary, sadly but the freedom money buys is not necessarily the most important kind. Real freedom brings more peace and is probably lost less easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment