Sunday 2 July 2023

Not personal

s
Edinburgh


This blog has existed for many years.  After a while, one becomes aware of which posts are going to be more popular.  For many years 'Tango, trouble and disrespect' has been the most popular post here.  The most popular entries are often the controversial ones, that point to a disagreement between people in a community.  Not always, there are other kinds too.   If I wrote for popularity I would splurge my posts across my social media, or even, with elbow-jabbing pushiness, in social media groups. I always feel sorry for writers whose social media has become relentless self promotion and wonder if they choose to do it or are made to.

Salacious curiosity underpins the entire media industry. I don't write for people trying to figure out "Whom does she mean?" .

I used to think it was useful to name some of the tracks that I heard specific DJs play, for those visiting or wanting to learn more about music. Certainly, it would be immensely useful to see a setlist or even example tracks of DJs I don't know. It would save so much travel and disappointment.

Even highlighting some of the tracks DJs play while pointedly not saying "And what a wonderful selection it was!" makes a point. It can causes aggro: not to my face and I only once, years ago, became aware if it through whispers passed around by someone, who, to general relief, is long gone. If anyone is interested enough in local music, I guess they'll ask. But the truth almost no-one travels internationally to Edinburgh to dance although some come to dance while they are here for something else. Although it's a capital, it's a small city and there aren't enough milongas.

From Being or Becoming? : The real point though is not about DJing or salsa or tango. These are just context, examples. There, although the discussion was about DJing, the point was something else. Sometimes, the point is about the DJing, but not about the person.

I don't name guys who criticise women, although they deserve it and I don't make ad hominem arguments against DJs or teachers because it's neither my place nor my point. Some entries may be stories of things that happened and therefore appear to point to real individuals, but trying to figure out who they are is irrelevant. They represent types, examples of certain behaviours or practice and that is the point.

Some people get antsy when they are referenced, even anonymously, even on a blog. Others are entirely relaxed and these I trust more. Chatting to the author of Autobiophilosophy years ago I remember he said one autobiography was enough for one lifetime, for the legal issues if nothing else.

I often think of Joseph Mitchell's classic, Up in the Old Hotel, which are pen portraits, often of named people. I think I once read that he wrote about people compassionately but upon reading it thought, Really? But the portraits are compelling.

It takes a certain sort of person to be able to detach themselves from the effect they may have on the subject of the writing. I don't know if it's courage or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment