Sunday 4 June 2023

Honesty is the best policy

Rick Harrison



Years ago, at a milonga I had found that looking down was not enough to avoid walk up invitations. Next time there was a first track I didn't want to dance I rummaged in my bag only to have a man walk up and say to me: You're not supposed to be rummaging in your bag if you want to dance - you should be looking around.  It sounds amazing to recount it because I cannot imagine a guy trying that now.  That change has happened because of vibe or reputation, probably the former. I tried being on my phone, but a man asked me to music I could not have danced to. I said I was sorry, the music was too dramatic for me. I considered repeatedly leaving the room but contorting my life to suit the expectations of others seemed absurd. Honesty probably is the best policy. 

Now I wouldn't feel awkward about avoiding dances. I find that it may be harder to get dances with women who are at ease and relaxed about saying No thanks but it's probably worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment