Friday 21 June 2024

UPDATE - Too Polite?



The translation of Too Polite? was rushed and I have had another go at the English.  It is less literal but I hope makes more sense. Translating from audio with five native speakers you have never met, having a social conversation at native speed, using colloquial language was one of my hardest translation challenges to date, surpassed only by a paisa cook speaking as fast as some Spaniards. I don't think any Colombians read 'The Outpost', but if you know of one I need some help with that!

Trying to follow the group, the easiest thing is actually not to translate, it's to figure out what they mean in their language from cues, context, probability and what you already know, otherwise you just don't have time to keep up.  I knew what they meant.  I just conveyed it poorly.

In the absence of a native speaker on hand to double check my transcription I used Google's voice to text service for the first time, which I think gave me a limited free introductory offer.  I only wish they'd tell you first that the max file size you can upload is 10MB and more particularly, that you can only transcribe  60 secs at a time.  If you have a fifteen minute conversation it is going to take a lot of editing of the sound file. The results seems accurate enough to be worth doing to double check short transcriptions, though are not as good as real native speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment