Thursday 2 March 2023

Voiceless

 

Henry Burrows


I couldn't find an image, with with free usage rights, of a mouthless woman but these disturbing images are an indicator of the unnaturalness and harm of being voiceless.

A: I feel I anticipate too much and that I’m too tense.

B: [heartbroken] I don’t think so! I dance with many new guys who are very tense, especially if they insist on learning to dance by leading.  Look I’ll be the new guy and you’ll see. 

A: Oh! 

B:  You don’t feel like that.

A: But I anticipate too much.

B:  Why do you think that? 

A:  Well, I’m supposed to wait for the guy to do the move and I don’t think I always do. 

B:  Who said you’re supposed to wait?  You have a voice.  Why shouldn’t you use it? 

A : [considers the idea]

B: And why should it be different in dance? How dull when only one person speaks! How much more connection there is, interest, fun, when it's a conversation. Look, you be the guy. I’ll help you with the music.  I’ll be the woman with a voice and then let's swap and you try.


*

But you can only speak if you feel confident and that starts with liking the partner and trusting them.


It’s the same in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment