Tuesday 21 March 2023

Toast



Imagine, three women sitting near one another think a guy has invited them to dance by look.  They all signal acceptance, again by look.  The guy walks over to the one he did actually invite and none of the women get up until, as Janis put it "she can see the whites of his eyes" - essentially until he is right in front of the one he did actually invite. Oscar Casas describes this well.  Many women gain this knowledge only with experience or travel.  

I remember getting it wrong in my first year or so dancing tango, on one of my first trips away at an encuentro.  When I recounted my mortification to another woman, she smiled with long experience and gave me the memorable advice: "Never get up".

A woman who stands up early or  - heaven forfend - goes towards a man she thinks is inviting her, either advertises herself as a mugger or inexperienced or simply that she grew up in a tango culture where these things are not practised.  The latter two are no sin. But in Buenos Aires an Englishwoman who heard it there said that girl gets called "toast". She pops up too early!

No comments:

Post a Comment