Sunday 19 March 2023

A clear "no-thank you"

No!


In the cafe:

A: He started to take liberties on the dance floor.  So I stopped the dance, made some verbal objection and stormed off the floor in the middle of the track, a la television tango.
Guys:  Really?  You minded?
A: !!  Of course I minded!
Guys [incredulous]:  We wouldn't mind at all if somebody did that to us.  We'd think it was our lucky day...


In the ladies:

A: He started to take liberties on the dance floor.  So I stopped the dance, made some verbal objection and stormed off the floor in the middle of the track.
B: Quite right! I'm so glad you did
A: Anyway, tell me about that other guy.
B: I looked at him and he saw me.  If he didn't want to dance he should have looked away, which is clear.
A: Right.
B: But the guy didn't do this.  He looked around and up and down.
A: Oh!
B: If you're going to say "I'm not going to invite you" by look you should at least be clear about it.
A: He was being clear!
B: I think it's helpful to be more direct.
A: So what did you do?
B: I just kept looking at him firmly and directly...
A: You didn't want to dance with him by now?
B: No, obviously, if he didn't want to dance with me.
A: To keep looking at him, that's mean!
B: No it's not.  I just wanted to see if he'd refuse properly.
A: [Laughing] Oh dear.  Perhaps he's just the shy type who knows what he does and doesn't want but has trouble saying no.  So what did happen?
B: Well, eventually he got up and moved away.
A: You don't say! Do you think he got the point about how to say "no thank you"?
B: I don't know.  Perhaps I'll find out next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment